Thursday 13 May 2010

Getting started.

Ok so I really didn't get my sewing machine. What possibilities can my sewing machine do? I thought that it was important that I got the best out of my machine, so I thought that it would be wise to have a lesson. I went to see a lady who was so helpful. She showed me how to do a chain stitch and a blanket stitch as well as a satin stitch. I gave up on the chain stitch as I found it really hard, especially with my nails. I was shown the basic stitches, went home and decided that it was about time to get started on my project.


I started off by deciding which photographs I wanted to use. I thought that this was really difficult because I have got so many pictures, I did not know which ones I wanted to use. I chose a variety of images in the end, trying to include all of his friends and family.

I then put a piece of material on to a heat press. I lay it flat and then placed photographs on top of it. The heat press has to be heated to 155 degrees. I placed a heat transfer sheet over the top of the images, so that the photographs did not melt.

I left the heat press on for 10 seconds and then opened the press. The end result worked really well.



The photographs were arranged in different ways on each piece of material.



This is my centre piece of my quilt. The image itself is A3. I put it on to blue material as I am using blues and purples/ clarets as I want the colours to resemble the villa colours.



These images are all on one piece of material. I included pictures of his cousin, Olivia, his special sister Justine and a very good friend Maggie. So many people loved Scott because he was so kind, loyal and friendly.

Here, I have started to sew on to my centre piece. I decided that I was going to do a butterfly. After Scott died, Justine had a tattoo done on her leg. It was a butterfly, with writing to the side of it.
I thought that a butterfly would be appropriate to use on the centre piece.

I made the butterfly, by drawing a stencil of the butterfly. You will see what I do later to the butterfly.
My next post, I will have all the images collated and ready to put my pieces together.

No comments:

Post a Comment