Thursday 25 March 2010

dyeing

I did some more dyeing. I used the same process but tried to add more colours to the dyeing that I already completed.

I had to consider what colours I wanted to use as the main colours that I want to use in my project are blues and purples and claret. I do want to use other colours but I do not want to overload my piece with lots of different colours.
I decided to use yellow. I used a piece of already dyed material and decided to dip it into yellow to see the result.
I used this piece of fabric because I thought that it was far too dark and I didn't really like the colour of it.
I cut up some more material and placed them in the yellow dye. I wasn't too sure what I wanted to happen yet but I thought I would start with the yellow and then decide if I wanted to add more colours to it.
I left the material in the dye for about 10 minutes and decided to take it out. This made the material more light in colour. I then followed the instructions and washed it in luke warm water to get rid of any excess dye.
Here is a picture of me washing the fabric.

Here is a picture of me hanging up the dyed fabric. I thought that it was important to hang it up to gather my ideas and see all the pieces together. I took a step back and looked at all the pieces that I dyed and decided which ones I liked and which ones I may use as apart of my piece.

Here, I used purple and yellows. I was really pleased with this dye as it looks like marbling.

This is the dye that I did not really like. I felt that the dye was too dark and I didnt really like the purple. I added yellow to the purple dye and the purple went a strange colour. Once this piece dried, I added yellow to it and it created this effect. I like how the yellow merged into the purple.

This is another piece that I completed. Again it looks as though the fabric has been marbelled. I really enjoyed seeing the effects of adding two colours on fabric.

Taking a step back.
I still think that the material with the dark purple on is horrible. I really do not like the purple. However, I quite like the yellows and will be gathering my ideas together to decide what I want to do with them. I know that I will not be using them as backgrounds. I may use these ontop of the material. eg shapes of something.

Here I have added some of the fabrics that I had already dyed. I was really having fun with this as none of the pieces I had dyed looked the same. They all looked different but I used the same strategies.
Here shows the dye in a tub. I added the dye and salt to hold the dye onto the fabric. I then added hot water and mixed it all together.



This was my favourite piece. I was really pleased with the result. I have really enoyed working with dye as this year I have looked at dyeing in more depth, including looking at different stategies of making different marks.
I am unsure of where I am going to go next but I think it is important for me now to do some more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment