Tuesday 23 March 2010

dyeing materials.

I decided today to spend some time doing some dyeing but I wanted to try something different. I had a look on the internet at different methods of dyeing.
I found two strategies that I wanted to try. A man called Alvaro Fernandez showed videos online to show how you can dye.
I tried the Double Spiral Tie Dye and Horizonatal Tie Dye.
The Double Spiral Tie Dye involved:
1. Wetting the material.
2. Twist a couple of areas on the material and use elastic bands to tie the material together.
The second strategy involved:
1. Wetting the material.
2. Fold the material at all the edges.
3. Fold the material over and under until you reach the end of the material.
4. Roll one side to the middle and then roll the other side.
5. Finish off by securing the material with an elastic band.
I really liked the results. Shown below are photographs that I have taken.




Ok, so I used a mixture of blues and purples. I put some dye into a pot and added warm water to the bowl. I also added salt which holds the colour of the dye on the fabric.
I mixed the powder in the bowl and added the fabric to the bowls.



I took these pictures because when I spilt a bit of water on the surface the colours mixed.

Here shows the fabric in the pots of dye. I used more dye than usual to make the dye more darker.


I decided to put a washing line up to hang all my work up on the line.

I did some more sheets of material, trying to use either less powder or more powder. I also left the material in for different amounts of time.




I am really pleased with the marks made today. I have tried two new methods of dyeing and I will carry this on further.

No comments:

Post a Comment