Thursday 13 May 2010

quilt nearly finished.

Once I had finished stitching all the pieces together, I had to hem the back of the pieces that were sticking out. They had to be pinned together first and then I had to use a hem stitch to finish the back of the quilt off.

Here I was taking the tacking out as all the layers are now securely together.


Nearly is finished now. I am so pleased with the outcome. All I need to do now is bound the edges to leave a border around the quilt. If you look carefully you can see the wadding behind the images.


I decided that I needed to iron the quilt as some of the parts were not quite straight.




I had to be very careful that I did not iron over the images as the photographs would melt because of the heat.





The last step!



I bound my quilt together to give it a nice border around it. This would tidy up the loose bits around the edges.

I measured out 250 cm of material and sewed the pieces together at 2 inch wide each. I then started to sew this piece around the edge of the quilt 1/4 of an inch at the end. This would attach the edging to the three layers.


This image shows me sewing around the edge of the border.
The last step now is to fold the border over the edge of the quilt and hem the border. This will then complete the quilt. It is approx 60 inch against 60 inches.
Taken a lot of work and time and a lot of headaches but it was worth it in the end and I have learnt a lot, using my sewing machine and learning different stitches.

2 comments:

  1. thank u. it has taken me so much time and grey hairs have developed lol x

    ReplyDelete