Thursday 13 May 2010

Cross Curricular Links

There are so many possible cross curricular links that my project includes.

Religious Education.

Children could complete a topic about death in school. This could also be completed in P.S.H.E. It is important to talk to children about death as so many children have to hear about their grand parents passing away. This could be based on discussions in the classroom.

Maths.

During the making of my quilt, I had to complete a lot of measuring in inches to work out how big I wanted the quilt, where I wanted the quilt, working in inches to cut the material out correctly. As well as measuring, my project has different shapes in it which could be discussed.


P.S.H.E.

You could take an aspect off the quilt like the image of the bike. A lesson could be based on road safety. As well as this emotions could be discussed. What emotions do we go through in every day life. Look at sad, happy, upset, angry. Talk to the children about how they feel. What makes them happy and what makes them sad.


Geography.

I have used a lot of images of Australia within the project as well as images from Amsterdam. Teachers could talk about the different countries. For upper key stage two, give the children a map and ask them to name the countries. See if they know where Australia is and Amsterdam.

Art.

Children in schools today are taught how to sew. They start with basic kits and during secondary school, children can take textiles and have the opportunity to make things. Basic sewing should be shown in schools.

Literacy.

I was given a beautiful poem after Scott died. Children could make their own poems up. As well as the poem, I wrote words to describe Scott. Talk about what a describing word is aka adjective.

Photography.

I used a lot of photographs in this project. The children in upper key stage 2 should be given the opportunity to use cameras. Use of ICT.

No comments:

Post a Comment